Simulate a StandBy with Standard Edition

  • From: Luc.Demanche@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracledba@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:48:05 +0200

Hi,

We are using the Standard edition, so no DataGuard and we would like to have
a standby database.

To simulate a standby, I would like to
- take my daily backup with RMAN
- duplicate a new database on a standby server
- transfer on a regular basis the new archive log files from the production
server to the standby server
- if needed, mount the standby database and recover with the archive log
files transfered from the production server.

My question is :  the duplicated database is a new database, will it be
possible to apply the archive log from the production.  They will not be the
same DBID.

If not, instead of duplicate a new database, I will only do a normal restore
on the standby server, so it will keep the same DBID and now I will be able
to apply the archive log files.  Right?

Some ideas ?

Thank you
Luc