RE: Simple question (I think)

  • From: "Peter McLarty" <Peter_McLarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <zanenj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 12:18:23 +1000

You should just need to allow 1521 or whatever your listener is on. Depending
on your firewall some have Oracle ports in them to proxy your connection
across.

This is not all that uncommon and the only system as far as your firewall is
concerned that is getting to your database is the DMZ system. 1521 and nearly
everything else should be still blocked on the external side of your DMZ

Good rule of thumb don't allow an untrusted system to access right across the
DMZ over your firewall. You have limited trust of the DMZ server so you provide
it with limited access.

You want to give the connection limited access to the schema as well to reduce
the likelihood of damage if your external system connects badly. i.e. has been
compromised.

If you can encrypt the traffic across the wall to the db server that can be good

Technet has a fair amount about security so that is likely worth a read may not
provide specifics but may help you with your firewall admin

Cheers

Peter