Re: Simple listener parameter question

  • From: Maureen English <sxmte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 16:00:17 -0900

Mark, (others who responded);

We are not using RAC.  We are, however using different clustered systems (HP
Tru64, Linux, Solaris, HPUX).

We have multiple databases running on each cluster, and each database has its
own listener, thus its own port #.

What we found on the linux cluster using crs was that when I set the
local_listener parameter using localhost,
everything seemed to work fine.  I connected to the listener and listed the
services and the IP number that
showed up was the one for the database alias, not the one for the actual
machine that it was running on.

We don't use tnsnames, we use OID and the connect information there only names
the database alias and port.
The only specific information in the listener.ora file is the port number...we
never use the default port
numbers....

I was also able to connect to this database from another machine with no
problems.  Basically, not setting
the parameter is not an option.  We usually set it to the alias for the
database (XXXX.alaska.edu), which is
technically the same as localhost, I think.

Dan, thanks for the info about the Metalink document.  I'll take a look at that
on Monday.

- Maureen

Bobak, Mark wrote:
Hi Maureen,

One reason I can think of to not use the definition you've specified, is RAC.
In the RAC environment, you'll want to specify a VIP address for the local
listener.  Other than that, if you're not on RAC, leave local_listener unset,
and it will default to port 1521 on the localhost.

Hope that helps,

-Mark