RE: Simple insert - 36,000 physical reads

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <mfontana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <chris_stephens@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:02:06 -0600 (CST)

Explain plan?

  _____

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Stephens, Chris
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 2:57 PM
To: oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Simple insert - 36,000 physical reads

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Dennis Williams
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 2:55 PM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Simple insert - 36,000 physical reads

List,

Oracle 10.2.0.4, Solaris 8

I've found a simple insert that has:

     1 execution

     2,512,102 Buffer Gets

     36,479 Physical Reads

     1 Parse call

     1 Row

This insert statement appears quite a few times in the AWR report, and for
the times I see it, the statistics are pretty close to what I've listed.
The insert just has a list of columns and a list of values. No subqueries.
There is a TO_DATE conversion on two columns.This is a real table, not a
view.

Does anyone have any suggestions of why a simple insert could cause this
much database activity?

Thanks to Brandon for suggesting awrsqrpt.sql in response to another
question. That is a great tool.

Dennis Williams

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.