RE: Shutdown Abort, a defense of some guessing

  • From: "Robert Freeman" <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mwf@xxxxxxxx>, <jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 23:44:44 -0600

With regard to "guesses"....

Personally, I am a strong personal believer in educated guesses, hunches or
even intuition, *especially* when time is of the essence and when there is
some experience behind the hunch. The "I've seen this before but I can't
remember where" or "I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is" hunches
often work for me, particularly for major problems that require immediate
correction. I can't explain why this is the case, it just is. I wonder if
some of it is just from having done this so much that perhaps there are some
neurological pathway connections/relationships that have been made
sub-consciously that fire when a given set of conditions exist....

What is really funny is that this ability to successfully have educated
hunches seems to work better during a crisis rather than during a problem
that is less than critical. I've always suspected that my brain just does
not gear up the same way for something that can be done "whenever" as
opposed to when "the system is down, uh-hu uh-hu, the system is down".

I've noticed this ability in other folks who have worked with a given
technology too. I also notice that I get really frustrated with folks during
system down emergencies who do not seem to possess this ability. One time, a
client had like 6 DBA's working on a problem for almost 7 hours before I got
a call. I had the problem solved in 20 minutes. In 40 minutes we were up and
running. The solution I came up with was all based on a hunch I got about 2
minutes into being there. That just seems to be the way things work for me.
I just could not understand how 6 other DBA's could not see what I saw.

Oh well....

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Oracle Consultant/DBA/Author
Principal Engineer/Team Manager
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
Father of Five, Husband of One,
Author of various geeky computer titles
from Osborne/McGraw Hill (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 11g New Features Now Available for Pre-sales on Amazon.com!
Sig V1.1