RE: Should/Can I shrink dictionary table?

  • From: "Bort, Guillermo" <guillermo.bort@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, <Mayen.Shah@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:12:33 -0500

As far as I recall, Oracle does not support automatic segment space
management for the SYSTEM tablespace, with that in mind, using alter
table shrink space compact and shrink space cannot be done (as it
requires row movement which in turn requires ASSM). Open an SR and
request for support on optimizing this particular table, but I think it
cannot be done. Do you create/drop views frequently?

HTH

Guillermo Alan Bort

DBA / DBA Main Team

EDS, an HP company