Re: Should I be worried about "ASM Background Timer" wait?

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gxallen@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 18:24:33 -0500

Snf that might mean your system is not quite busy. You can sample
v$session_wait (or use ASH) and see which process is that. After that
you can add this even as idle for statspack or whatever you use.
Alternatively, you might just stop looking at system wide metrics
(though, some might disagree). ;-)

On 11/6/06, fairlie rego <fairlie_r@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

AFAIK ASM Background timer wait event is an idle wait event like PMON timer
and SMON timer and is set when the ASMB background process is waiting on
messages from the ASM instance.

Regards,
Fairlie

Grant Allen <gxallen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A new consultant on site (and I) are curious about the "ASM Background
Timer" wait, as it's being reported in the top 5 waits. I'm more
interested in confirming if this is just an idle event used by ASM to
indicate that it has nothing to do. The system (10gR2, Solaris
64-bit, EMC SAN, db of about 40GB) is running relatively well, but
we're curious nonetheless.

Nothing comes back from [technet | www | tahiti | docs].oracle.com,
nor much from Google (just a few appendix listings classing it as an
idle event). Anyone have any background on it?

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)

Fairlie Rego
Senior Oracle Consultant
http://www.linkedin.com/in/fairlierego

http://el-caro.blogspot.com/
M: +61 402 792 405

 ________________________________
Sponsored Link

 Get an Online or Campus degree - Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's - in
less than one year.

--
Best regards,
Alex Gorbachev