Re: Should Advanced Replication be considered for High Availability solutions?

  • From: mkb <mkb125@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gcuccu@xxxxxxxxxxx, Oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 06:57:24 -0800 (PST)

--- Giovanni Cuccu <gcuccu@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>       my company asked me for evaluating High
> Availability solutions using
> various Oracle features. I considered RAC and
> Stand-by solutions
> eventually combined together (RAC at the local site
> and standby in a
> remote site), but I don't know if even Advanced
> Replication
> (multimaster) can be considered as a viable
> alternative.
> Any suggestions/real world experiences?

Hi Giovanni,

My own experience has been that it is fairly stable
once up and running, but once something goes wrong, a
bear to get right(trigger based replication in 9.2).
If you want to implent replication anyway, choose
streams based replication since it is much easier to
manage.

So I'd also recommend that you stay away from
replication as a failover solution.  Instead, I think
that DataGuard is a better solution.  It is also
designed to work with 9i RAC.

hth
--
mohammed