Re: Shooting yourself in the spfile

  • From: Jared.Still@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:35:58 -0800

Jonathan,
My alternative is to not use spfile until such time as I need to adjust a
parameter
dynamically, and it is available only via spfile.

So far, no spfile.

Jared

Jonathan Gennick <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 02/18/2004 02:57 PM
 Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:
        Subject:        Shooting yourself in the spfile

I just went through an episode in which I changed a
parameter setting using scope=spfile, attempted to bounce my
instance, and found that I was hosed. Fortunately, I had an
up-to-date text version of my parameter file (i.e. init.ora)
that I was able to fall back on, and I easily used that to
restart my instance. Now I have to recreate my server
parameter file, because, having started my instance using
init.ora, it won't let me change a parameter using
scope=spfile. Arg!

All this has underscored the importance of backing myself up
when it comes to parameter changes, and I'm wondering about
best-practices. What do you all do to protect yourself here?
I can think of two alternatives:

* Follow each successful spfile change by creation of a new,
text-based (init.ora) parameter file, to use in case you
muck up your spfile in the future.

* Make a copy of your binary spfile after each successful
change, or before making a change, so that you can fall back
by copying the last known-good spfile over the one you
screwed up.

Are there any alternatives that I've missed here? What
approach is best, and why? Right now, I lean towards keeping
a current, text-based parameter file, because that gives you
the flexibility to go in with vi and tweak a parameter. In
fact, I wonder why the server parameter file can't be
text-based. If I have to constantly make text-based backups
to protect myself, why not just make the spfile text-based
to begin with?

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are
http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxx

Join the Oracle-article list and receive one
article on Oracle technologies per month by
email. To join, visit http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/oracle-article,
or send email to Oracle-article-request@xxxxxxxxxxx and
include the word "subscribe" in either the subject or body.