Re: Shell script to call FTP [off-topic]

  • From: David Pintor <painterman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 18:55:43 +0100

Hi Alex,

I'm not very familiar with the old ftp syntax but I'd suggest you have a
look at the manual (man ftp).

However, I would strongly recommend you to generate a pair of authentication
keys and to add your remote host public key to the authorized_hosts file
(see here <http://www.linuxproblem.org/art_9.html> how to do this, it's very
straight forward) and then to use sftp instead of ftp, which is secure.

The syntax then would be:

*sftp username@host *

And you wouldn't need to add your password to the script.

Hope this helps.

David