Shared Server Mode Reliable with Oracle 10gAS?

  • From: "Sam Bootsma" <sbootsma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 16:51:05 -0500

Hello All,

We have an Oracle 10gAS middle-tier server that connects to an Oracle
10.2.0.4 database in dedicated server mode.

A consultant told me that in shared server mode the Oracle dispatcher
will sometimes (but very rarely) send packets to the wrong process on
the Oracle 10gAS Apache side.  If this were to take place then that
would certainly create problems.  Given this, is anybody running the
shared server mode from Oracle 10gAS to the database?  If so, is it
working well for you?  Have you ever encountered such a problem or heard
of such a problem.

We are running Oracle database 10.2.0.4 on AIX and Oracle 10gAS on
Windows 2003.

Thanks,

Sam Bootsma

Oracle Database Administrator