RE: Setting oracle SGA and other params for large memory boxes

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pradeep.Chetal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Pradeep.Chetal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:41:06 -0700

I'd say just give Oracle as much as it needs for good performance but avoid
giving it excessive amounts because that will make it more difficult to free up
that memory in the future if another instance or application comes along that
needs it, plus larger SGAs have higher overhead for latches, searching all the
buffers, etc.  Your SGA and PGA advice views can usually give you a good idea
of how big they should be.

Regards,
Brandon

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Pradeep Chetal

We have some new DB systems with larger memory - around 64 GB.. Since these are
dedicated DB Servers, what is the best place to use the additional memory