Re: Setting MAXSIZE for a datafile less than UNLIMITED

  • From: Mark Bobak <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rjoralist3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rjoralist3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 17:23:22 +0000

Hi Rich,

Not sure what specific issues you¹re referring to.  If you¹re on 11.2.0.3,
and especially if you¹re using ASM, I would recommend BIGFILE tablespaces
and UNLIMITED maxsize.  This way, the tablespaces grow organically, and
you only need to monitor space at the disgroup level.  I do that for the
main application tablespaces.  For tablespaces that developers dump stuff
into, I set max size, as I do with TEMP and UNDO.

The problems in the past, with backing up really large files, are lifted
in 11gR2 (maybe in 11gR1 also, I can¹t rememberŠ) with the SECTION SIZE
parameter.

-Mark