Re: Service names and dataguard

  • From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx" <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 08:56:11 -0500

You can use a trigger or srvctl to assign service names based on database role
(primary or physical standby). You can then set up a single entry with 2 ip
addresses (failover type entry) and it will connect to whichever node has the
correct service name. Let me know if you need examples. For tnsnames, many
companies will have a single file under version control for the entire company.

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 2, 2015, at 8:33 AM, Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 02/06/2015 7:27 AM, Howard Latham wrote:
Oracle 11.2 Linux RH E 4 Windows etc.

When there are several interconnecting systems across windows and
linux and a seemingly frequent need to switchover to standby
databases on different boxes what is the simplest/ best way to make
sure that tnsnames on every box is up to date or am I missing an
important bit of technology?
Oracle also supports replacing (or complementing) TNSNAMES.ora with LDAP.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/migrating-guide-133059.pdf
http://laurentschneider.com/wordpress/2006/10/migration-of-tnsnamesora-to-ldap-sun-java-system-directory-server.html

/Hans