RE: Server-managed vs storage-managed backup/recovery?

  • From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:37:46 -0700

Tim,

We use the the 'split mirror' hot-backup for our large Apps database. The
main reasons are (a) Keep backup I/O off the 'live' copy (b) Keep a copy of
the Database 'on-disk' for immediate recovery should a disk disaster strike
on the live copy. (c) We don't have to really bother about the backup window
as long as one cycle doesn't step into the next. (d) Clones are simply a
matter of FTP and archive log application. [Of course, storage $$ isn't an
issue here, if you know what I mean!]

Hth,
John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Listen to great, commercial-free christian music 24x7x365 at
http://www.klove.com

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **