Re: Semi-OT: Vi Question/Need

  • From: William Robertson <william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 19:46:54 +0000

Sorry about that. I had rather assumed that once we we talking about
text editors the discussion had moved on from Unix, so I was puzzled
at the claim that a Unix command line utility was more widely
available than a multi-platform text editor. Glad we got that one
cleared up. Of course in the context of Unix/Linux and default
installations, NS is quite right to say that cut is more widely
available than Vim. I would think the *n*x distributions without it
must be in the minority these days though, and one is usually a
synonym for the other (and in any case :%s/\(.\{72\}\)\(.*\)/\1 will
work in either, if I've typed that right on my iPad, which has Vim but
not the ability to copy and paste commands from it).

William

On 19 Mar 2013, at 12:10, "Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx"
<Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

and the conversation just devolved into amorphous goo sucking the rest
of the list members into its wake of destruction...

Waiting for the inevitable Nazi reference...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Chris