RE: [Semi-OT] SQL Server tools for the Oracle DBA

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 13:27:49 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Matt,

I'm looking for very basic management with reactive notifications (database
down) and some proactive notifications (data drive is 95% full).
Performance?  I don't monitor much of it now as there's very little user
complaints of the SQueaL apps with regard to performance, so that's not a
priority for me.

SS Damagement Studio is OK if unbearably slow at times.  Perhaps I need to
investigate further (including licensing), but it seems cumbersome with
regard to centralized reporting.  Metrics like some of the dashboard of GC
-- any job failures, backups, warnings, etc. for a group of servers isn't
there or perhaps I just haven't seen/used it yet.  The only way I've used it
is to connect to each server and run queries/reports for each.
Time-consuming to say the least.

I also use the freeware Toad for SS daily.  It's limited to two concurrent
connections to different servers.  It's great for the few DBA scripts I
write/plagarize, but not so much for server management.  For that, the
commercial version would be required, which also has nice toys like a job
manager.

Thanks!
Rich