Re: Semi-OT: Recommendation for laptop/workstation replacment to run VMs ?

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 09:42:08 -0800

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM, <Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was looking at the Dell Precision m6700 but I'm not sure I want to pull
> the pin on that badboy right now so I was curious if any of you guys have a
> good workstation replacement you use to run test VMs (think: RAC upgrade
> testing (CRS, ASM etc) - basic database upgrades to flush out issues).
> I had a desktop at one point that I had setup a DNS server on and a vlan
> for the VMs which worked pretty well at the time but I'd like to have
> something portable.  Definitely needs 16GB ram if not 32gb I think.
>
> Anyone have any favorites or recommendations (or tips on how to write off
> a m6700 on my taxes! LOL )

Sorry, no tax advice.

But I did just get a new dell laptop for the purposes you are stating.

Dell XPS 15, 128G mSata SSD, 1 TB disk, 16G of RAM
4 Core i7-3632QM   CPU
Windows 8

Virtualization works just fine on this machine, and I am overall quite
pleased with it so far.

The only thing is it lacking is a VGA port.  I purchased and HDMI to VGA
adapter, but have not
yet tried it, so we'll see if I am still completely happy when I get around
to that.

There are a number of reviews on the  XPS 15, and those that appear at the
top of the google
review search are all pretty accurate as far as I can tell.

Some pluses for this machine:
* gorgeous display - I think it was the CNET reviewer that claimed this was
the nicest display
he had ever seen on a PC laptop - I would agree.
* wonderful keyboard - so much better than the usual fare I've experienced
on quite a few Dell laptops

So far I've had 3 linux VM's running at once with no issues
2 Oracle 6.1 running oracle 11.2 with 6G of RAM between them
1 Debian 6 with 2G of RAM

Caveat: the default setting is for the 128G SSD to be used as a caching
device.
I reinstalled windows and used the SSD as the OS/App drive - boot times are
quite livable.  :)

I was considering the Dell 4700, but the XPS was several hundred $$ less
for about the same capability.
Really the only thing I am missing is VGA port
The M4700/6700 can be upgraded to 32G, and the XPS is maxed out at 16G.
32G would be nice, but I can live with 16G.

I would have very seriously considered a MacBook Pro had not the new line
topped out at 8G of RAM.
They can be unofficially upgraded to 16G, but Apple doesn't support it.

HTH,
Jared