Re: Select failover ORA-25401 when data is imported from an export on a RAC cluster

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lizzpenaorclgrp@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 22:20:34 -0600

Hi Laura,

Good info here. I'm assuming this is 10.2.

The first issue is that in 10.2, the server-side service-level settings will override the client-side settings. So, you'll need to consult the DBA_SERVICES view (specifically the FAILOVER_TYPE column) to determine if the IUAT_TAF1.ascentanalytics.com service is configured for SELECT failover. If you need to modify the service, consult DBMS_SERVICE.MODIFY_SERVICE.

I'd also highly recommend reviewing an excellent whitepaper all about services, failover, and more by Jeremy Schneider. It is at http://www.ardentperf.com/publications/ under the title "Unleashing Oracle Services..." (about 6th down from the top). It's a lot of information, but all goodness and (as Jeremy usually does) tested thoroughly. For lighter reading, the presentation "Oracle Services on RAC" is also helpful. Jeremy (if you're following)--where's the whitepaper for that presentation?

Good luck--you're almost there!

Dan

laura pena wrote:

We were told by consultants that on our production 2 node cluster (64-bit RedHat linux, RAW using ASM) database that after importing data into a new schema, the select failover was not functioning.
The data was imported into a new schema in a clustered db instance (2nodes). A huge select statement was run and a node was taken down to test select failover. Once the node was taken down the select statement issued the following message:

"ORA-25401 can not continue fetches" when selecting from a table from 1 node, and shutting down node to test
failover selects.

The TAF looks like:
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTO = TCP)(HOST = oraclea1-vip)(PORT = 1521))
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oraclea2-vip)(PORT = 1521))
(FAILOVER = yes)
(LOAD_BALANCE = yes)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = IUAT_TAF1.ascendanalytics.com)
(FAILOVER_MODE =
(TYPE = SELECT)
(METHOD = BASIC)
(RETRIES = 180)
(DELAY = 5))))

To get this to work, we had to import the data into a temporary schema, then from the real schema we want, we did a create table xxx as ... from the temp schema we imported the data into.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

I also have an attachement of the scr if you are interested. Doesn't look like I'm allowed to post attachments.

-Lizz

Earlier post:
 I have a issue, that I am going to be researching in detail and

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l