RE: Security/Accounts in an Oracle development environment

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: paulastankus@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:50:33 -0600 (CST)

Hey Paula,

Since I'm dealing with SQL Server 2K and 2K5 now, I can tell you that
"easier" and "security model" don't necessarily mix, at least from the DBA's
perspective.

Have you thought about creating a proc/package in the app schema to manage
creation of the objects, since the proc would be invoked with owner's
rights?  For security, there's still a level of trust you'll need if you
allow creation of procedures by this master procedure (e.g. dev could create
a procedure to grant them full access on any object in that schema), and you
should be able to find a few examples on the web.  AUDIT is a good helper
here, too...

Just a suggestion.  I used to be in the same boat you're in, but without the
ability to secure the app login password...

GL!
Rich