Re: Security Issue

  • From: "David Litchfield" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 20:47:54 +0100

Hi Don,

I'm in the process of researching and developing what will be an open source, post-database intrusion forensics tool called F.E.D.S. (the Forensic Examiner's Database Scalpel) that is capable of extracting information and row data, deleted or otherwise, from datafiles and the redo logs. Some of this research I've written up in the following papers:

http://www.databasesecurity.com/dbsec/Locating-Dropped-Objects.pdf
http://www.databasesecurity.com/dbsec/dissecting-the-redo-logs.pdf

If you're concerned about people gaining unauthorized access to data on backup files you should look to encrypt them (there are a number of commercial and open source solutions available) and store them in a physically secure location.

HTH,
David Litchfield

----- Original Message ----- From: "Freeman, Donald" <dofreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>