RE: Security Alert #68 - Have to upgrade versions prior to 9.2.0. 4

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'dwagoner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <dwagoner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ORACLE-L (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:38:47 -0400

David,

Either that, or evaluate what the Security patch is "patching".
And then decide whether you are exposed to the risk of not applying the
patch.

From what I can understand, the patch is fixing a hole in the HTTP server.
If you are not running the HTTP server on your database machine, then the
risk is (in my opinion only) very low.

Now try and sell this to your management.  We have some database's, like
your's, that do not have a patch available - they need to be upgraded first.
I don't know about you, but this really pisses me off.  Oracle makes a
blunder in *their* testing of the software, and we get to do the freekin
work.  It's not right.  Oracle should reduce maintenance costs for all the
time we are spending fixing their mistakes.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional