Re: Searching missing number in large data.

  • From: Adam Musch <ahmusch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: abhishek.gurung@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 09:21:21 -0500

This is not a solvable problem, at least not of less than O(n) complexity.

With an unsorted data set, you won't know if any single number is
missing until having read 2^32 - 1000 - 999 numbers, and you'll only
ever be able to positively identify a missing number after having read
all 2^32 - 1000 of them, because before that point, each number that
hasn't been read is simply more *probably* missing, not *proven*
missing.

If you need O(log n) complexity, you need sorted data.

--
Adam Musch
ahmusch@xxxxxxxxx