Re: Script to overcome ORA-54 during DDL

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 08:18:31 +0100

The drawback to locking the table before
doing the DDL is that any other user wanting
to do DML will be queueing behind your lock
request.  So in busy systems this is likely to
increase the probability that someone will block
you in the moments between the implicit commit
and the start of the DDL.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st