Re: Script to Document a Database

  • From: japplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 21:34:13 -0600

Whoa!  Surely that's a type and you meant 20 or 200, not 2000 databases!

If it's truly 2000 databases, I'd be more interested in:
1. Why so dang many?
2. How do you even manage to manage so many?
3. What's your User and/or Developer community that they require so many?
4. How many DBAs are in your group?
5. How much does your company spend on licensing and maintenance fees each
year?

I bet #5 is a BIG number!

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

From:   Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     hostetter.jay@xxxxxxxxx
Cc:     oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   02/25/2010 04:28 PM
Subject:        Re: Script to Document a Database
Sent by:        oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I know I should investigate a little before posting this, but my situation
is I have about 2000 Databases in various platforms and following various
different standards (when they follow a standard at all). So I would like
to be able to gather all this information into a single centralized web
repository (perhaps even a database). Does any of these tool provide this
capability?
Alan.-

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Jay Hostetter <hostetter.jay@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Thank you for all of the replies.

Jeff Hunter's script is similar to my script, except it goes into much
more detail and uses HTML (which I easily added with "set markup html
on").

Jay

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
+1 for OraSnap.

I've been running it once per week for quite some time.

Pro: comprehensive information about your databases

Con: some rather intensive queries - run it at the
slowest periods for the database.

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com