RE: Schema objects version control

  • From: Steve Ollig <sollig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'poelsb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <poelsb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Oracle-L@Freelists. Org'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 10:42:22 -0600

Ben -

Our shop is similar to Ron's.  Rather than using a GUI to
generate schema change scripts and such, we version control
our ddl (create table sql and the like).  I've found
depending on a GUI to generate a schema change script is
often more trouble than it's worth.

As an example, if I were to add a column to table A, I would
add my column to the create table statement in CVS.  My
schema change script would simply call the revised create
table statement. It would also involve creating a backup copy
of table A with a CTAS, dropping the table, then the call to
my revised create table statement, putting back the data, and
finally re-creating indexes, privs, constraints, etc...  All
pretty cookie cutter.

Yes - that's some work and some GUIs will attempt to do a lot
of that for you.  But I find it more efficient to work
directly with the text based ddl.

I use the GUI tools to get the pretty pictures.  I also find
them handy when kicking stuff around in the design phase.
But when the rubber hits the road, I'm all about the ddl scripts.