Re: Schema Naming Standards

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 08:47:00 -0500 (CDT)

Mark replies:

Just wanted to add one more thought. It's almost always smart to *not* tie
your schema to the environment. For example, it's a bad idea to have an
app called ACME, and the schema/app owner schema called ACME_DEV in
ACME_TST in test, ACME_PRD in prod, etc. It will hugely complicate things
like refreshes from prod to test, dev, etc. (Yes I've seen/worked on such
a system. Big pain.....)

I'll add the perfunctory "It Depends" here. For our ERP (JD Edwards), we
have 7 Production DBs and 7 Dev/Test/Training/whatever DBs. The schema
names for each of the lower environment DBs is different per the apparent
standard of the ERP.

The ERP is multi-tier web-based, and the schema names for the generated SQLs
are stored in a single location of each environment's definition. The only
thing I need to do from a schema standpoint in order to refresh data is to
add a few REMAP_SCHEMAs and REMAP_TABLESPACEs to the impdp over a dblink,
and we're good to go.

There is no direct SQL interface for production purposes. The only SQLs are
occasional data fixes, where I need to make sure that the schema names are
changed from their testing to production.

Dead simple. For this system. No, I wouldn't normally hope that schema
names change between environments, but it works very well here from the DBA
point-of-view.

My $.02,
Rich