Schema Naming Standards

  • From: Jeff Chirco <backseatdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 14:31:16 -0700

I was wondering if others have a naming standard for application schemas.
Like do you had a prefix or suffix? It was started before I got to this
company that all schemas end in "_USER" and then I later added a "_APP" for
application logins to separate schemas that owned the objects and what the
application logs in as. So for example for a Payroll program the schema
would be PAYROLL_USER instead of just PAYROLL.

We are starting up a new database for a big system and the developers had
asked to drop the _USER. The _APP will not be needed since users will log
in directly to this particular database.
I am open to the idea but was wondering what is common? Part of my concern
is that one database will be different than others but really the _USER
serves no purpose.

Thanks in advanced.

Jeff