RE: Scheduled Maintenance Windows & Database Change Management

  • From: "Best, David" <David.Best@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Todd.Carlson@xxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:58:47 -0400

I support an EBS environment and we have monthly maintenance weekends.
The downtime can be anywhere from 4hrs to 48 hrs depending on what we
are doing.  Most of the outages are in the 18hr range.      When we
upgraded to 11.5.10 shortly before xmas the downtime was about 48 hrs.
In a couple of weeks we are upgrading to 10.2.0.3 with security
patches(app and db) and some release items. Including testing effort I
believe the window will be 24 hrs.

We have certain windows in which we can't perform maintenance.  If
anything needs to be done in that time frame then it requires exec
signoff.  End of the day, I've never really had any issues with securing
downtime.  I've had more issues with making sure there is enough time
for testing the patches/fixes before they go in.