RE: Saving STATSPACK Reports

  • From: "Lawie, Duncan" <duncan.lawie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Polarski, Bernard'" <Bernard.Polarski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bnsarma@xxxxxxxxx, "_oracle_L_list" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 04:08:35 -0400

Bernard,

as I said, this is fundamentally about trend analysis.  I see this as part of
the arsenal, not a replacement for statspack - a way to work out which of the
hundreds of statspack reports you may actually want to read.

The uses I have found for this are that you can look at the shape of events
over a few hours and work out which statspack reports you want to look at.  Or
you can see at a glance (as a marketeer would say) that you have a daily spike
at 4am.  Or you can look at your database growth history over the last 18
months and project outwards for capacity planning.

It is also extensible, so that probably anything numeric you find in a
statspack could be graphed.

Cheers,
Duncan.

  _____