Samba on a database server

  • From: "Connor McDonald" <mcdonald.connor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle Discussion List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 22:42:13 +0800

Our app guys have built a small database app, which amongst other
things, loads image files from a file system into the database - the
intention being that these are files that users can drag/drop from
their PC into this file system.

They've assumed that the files will be local to the database server,
so I'm considering samba to expose a small f/s on the db server.

Our unix admin is resisting - quoting samba is a security risk, and
that it opens our database server up to all sort of attack.

I don't really care whether we use samba or something else or whatever
- but I've been asked to give an informed opinion, so I figured it
would be to defer to anyone (on the list that is informed ... 'cos i'm
not.

Are the risks legitimate ?

Cheers
Connor

--
Connor McDonald

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat"