Re: SYS_GUID

  • From: Paul Baumgartel <treegarden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:19:43 -0700 (PDT)

We use sys_guid for all primary keys in our application.  We frequently
move schemas between machines with no ill effects.  Although the
decision to use sys_guid was made before I took my current job, and I
wasn't convinced that sequences wouldn't have done the job just as
well,  when we started using multi-master replication I was very happy,
because managing sequences in replicated databases is a pain.  With
sys_guid, there's no sweat.

--- Michael Fontana <mfontana@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does anyone use the SYS_GUID function made available in Oracle9i?
>
> I recommended this be used instead of sequences for a distributed
> processing design, and some on the team are rightfully concerned
> about
> recoverability issues.  For example, would a recovered database table
> have the original sys_guid values?  Would the recovered values still
> be
> unique?  If anyone knows the answers to these questions, or has some
> experience with using this functionality, I would appreciate hearing
> about their experience.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Michael Fontana
> Sr. DBA