Re: STRIPING AT Oracle Level

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle.tutorials@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:27:27 -0400

Without specific requirements, I would consider ASM as *one* of the
most viable options for *JBOD*. Even mirroring features of ASM can be
used assuming you have more than just couple disks. I'd say there is
practically no overhead from ASM except write mirroring hit.

It also quite cheap (read free) and you are not locked into any
hardware. You can simply move your disks to another machine and can
mount ASM disks there with no problems.

You would want to test disk failures on your platform and how you
recover from that and make sure procedures are clean. It wouldn't
guarantee that the real failure will go same way but at least you
would have a plan.

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com