SQL*Loader vs External Tables

  • From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:09:05 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

I am about to set up a regular data load process.  In the past I've done this
using SQL*Loader but I'm thinking of inserting from an external table instead.
I believe the underlying stuff is much the same but wonder if there were any
pros and cons of using external tables over SQL*Loader for regular scheduled
loads.  It's a pretty straightforward load (not lots of ETL type stuff) of data
directly into columns so being able to do it with PL/SQL is a small, but not
huge benefit.

Thanks for any comments.

- Charlotte