SQL with special characters .. behaviour ?!

  • From: "Prem Khanna J" <premj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 14 Oct 2004 00:52:05 -0000

Hi all,
the env is oracle 9.2.0.4/Aix 5.2L.

I find something strange with a query.it joins 11 tables .

the predicate part has something like

"AND papr.payroll_name = 'AA?QPTEST?QB'"

Note that the underscore ?Q above is a double byte character.

the PAPR table has 2 records for the
value 'AA?QPTEST?QB'. This query takes a long time and waits indefinitely for
'direct path write' event.

whereas when i change the predicate part to

"AND papr.payroll_name like 'AA%PTEST%B'"

the response is instantaneous.I have replaced the underscore with "%" and used
LIKE operator.

the database character set is JA16SJIS.

I wonder why it happens so ? Have anyone faced such issues while working with
multibyte charcters.

Regards,
Prem.