SQL deparser ?

  • From: Bernard Polarski <bpolarsk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 05:50:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hello lister,

 I am wondering if anybody knows a resource for a procedure/program that will
isolate predicates for a given SQL.

 I am quite interrested in the work of Dan Tow
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sqltuning/) and SQL diagramming as a generic
approache to tune SQL. However this method requests for an SQL of 20 tables and
50 joins to generate counts and ratio for each predicate and it is rapidily
over the hundred SQL statement.

 I have made some search on the difficulty to deparse just and SQL in the
oracle syntax (not even considering the SQL ANSI). Taking in account just
Select, but with the inline views, union, aliases and implicit aliase - inlined
views not aliases and right predicate being SQL  -ie exists (select ... ) - ,
it is quite a big work. I estimate this to several weeks in perl and this just
to isolate the predicates.

 I had a look to perl module SQL::Statement::Syntax but it is quite poor.

 Any hint on a resource, would be very appreciated.

 B. Polarski
 http://www.smenu.org