RE: SQL Server vs. Oracle

  • From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:15:54 -0700

Fernando,

>SQLServer suffers from the same "syndrome" as Visual Basic: it makes
>the easiest parts of programming (in VB) or of administration
>(SQLServer) easier. But the hard parts actually get much harder. So,
>the experience of administering a large, production SQLServer2k db is
>probably as nasty as maintaining/upgrading a large VB app.

I was just looking up one of the SS forums - the (paraphrased) question was
"What can I do to make my 1000 user Website backed by SS2K go faster?" And
the answer (again paraphrased) was 'Use DML with the 'with nolock'"
parameter!! SS2k suffers from basic concurrency, transaction management and
scalability issues. [And they only recenly moved from the Block-level lock
to the Row-Level lock mode in SS2k (or was in in 6.x?)] Not sure what the
new 'Yukon' version does though...

>One thing is that SQLServer doesn't give as much control as you can
>expect, so when things like "why is this so slow" happens,
>life is much
>harder. Of course, things really go bad when you have a very large
>legacy VB code using SQLServer2k and everything is very slow and they
>just call you to "optimize this" (where "this" can be legacy vb code,
>db schema, sql, etc, etc).

I think this sort of thing is available - just that the SS2K community
hasn't quite figured out how to really use trace, bind vars, Cost
optimization, Wait event based tuning and ultimately good SQL tuning. [MS
has also not released much information as well] It seems that the
master.dbo.sysperfinfo does contain Stats (including the 'Buffer Caceh Hit
Ratio'!!!) and master.dbo.sysprocesses does contain basic Wait event info,
including 'PAGEIOLATCH_SH', 'PAGEIOLATCH_EX', 'NETWORKIO' etc. However,
there is either no or mimimal information on this very basic event out
there...

John Kanagaraj <><
DB Soft Inc
Phone: 408-970-7002 (W)

Listen to great, commercial-free christian music 24x7x365 at
http://www.klove.com

** The opinions and facts contained in this message are entirely mine and do
not reflect those of my employer or customers **