[Semi-OT] SQL Server tools for the Oracle DBA

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 10:07:44 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all,

Being a Solo DBA, I also have to bear with managing SQueaL Server 2000/2005
(yes, they warned me of that before I accepted the job 2 years ago!).  With
Oracle, we had purchased the Diag and Tuning Packs, so it made Grid Control
an easy ("already bought") choice to use to centrally manage/monitor our few
Oracle DBs.

I need something similar for SQueaL Server, albeit with zero budget.  I've
tested the SQueaL Server GC plugin and am not impressed at all.  Not only is
it not worth the $1800/CPU plus the requirement of installing and managing
the Agent on every SQueaL Server box, but the outright bugs I've found leave
me doubting Oracle Corp's commitment to the plugin.

The idea I'm implementing is a repository of tables in a DB connected by
Linked Servers using queries to pull the fun management-related data, where
I can then write fun SSIS stuff to help me manage all the SSs without the
need to constantly touch each DB.

Any other Oracle DBAs using/contemplating/bemoaning anything similar?
Anyone written their own GC plugin (I'm looking at the PPT on extending GC
from Alex of Pythian now)?

TIA!
Rich

--