Re: SQL * PLUS Worksheet

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 22:19:28 +0800

Actually, quite a few times I have found myself pasting the result of a query
from one Telnet screen into SQLPlus running on another Telnet screen !!
{yes, even with Character-mode Telnet, I use Copy-Paste}
Fortunately, never has the output included a line "DELETE * FROM MYTABLE" !

I __try__ to adopt the discipline of first pasting into Notepad to verify
the contents of the buffer before I paste into an SQLPlus screen.

You're right.  "cut'n'paste" or "copy'n'paste" can be very dangerous.

Hemant
At 03:23 PM 13-02-04 -0700, you wrote:
>Note that cut'n'paste with a single mouse click is a convenient but very
>dangerous tool - if you happen to paste wrong text in wrong place, either
>accidentially or forgetting that you've copied some other text to clipboard
>meanwhile. When I'm dealing with production instances, I follow a rule set
>by myself, that immediate procedure before paste, has to be a cut(or copy).
>That way I minimize the chance that I'm pasting incorrect and possibly
>dangerous commands into the prompt.
>
>Tanel.

Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional
http://hkchital.tripod.com  {last updated 24-Jan-04}