Re: [SOLVED] missing alert.log mystery (it's not what you think)

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 07:52:37 +0100

In the case of the listener then lsnrctl can be used to rename the log file

On 17 May 2011 01:42, "Wolfgang Breitling" <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have for years renamed the alert log on a weekly basis, and eventually
gzipped it, in order to keep it reasonably sized. Oracle just starts a new
alert log. Granted, I haven't done a direct bzip on it but that should be no
different - except maybe, if the bzip takes a while and oracle tries to
write to it while it is open by bzip. I haven't verified on 11.1.0.7 but on
11.2.0.2 that rename still works and Oracle creates a new alert log with the
original name ( alert_instance.log ) so I am pretty confident it does also
work for 11.1.0.7. In contrast to. e.g. the listener log, which you must not
rename. There I do a cp to a new file followed by cp /dev/null >
listener.log.

On 2011-05-16, at 1:50 PM, Charles Schultz wrote:

> On May 6th, the original alert_TEMDEV.log was bzipped and removed by a
cron job. Usually we check ...