Re: SGA_MAX_SIZE vs. SGA_TARGET

  • From: Neil Chandler <neil_chandler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx" <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2015 18:54:28 +0100

It depends upon your platform. Most platforms allocate max_size so having a
lower sga_target is pointless and a waste of memory. Some platforms do not
(Solaris), and only allocate sga_target, with max_size an unused top limit.

Neil.
sent from my phone

On 5 Sep 2015, at 18:51, Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

yeah this is old. I know its on the web. However, the responses I see are not
to the question I have.

What is the point to having two parameters? If SGA_MAX_SIZE reserves memory
for oracle as an upper bound, but would I want to be able to raise and lower
SGA_TARGET? What do I do with the 'spare memory'. PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET is
separate and not taken from memory reserved with SGA_MAX_SIZE

db_cache,shared_pool, large_pool,streams, java, etc... all come out of
SGA_TARGET. So what is the point to this? I am missing something.

I have I have 20 GB SGA_MAX_SIZE and a 10 GB SGA_TARGET. What is oracle doing
with the other 10 GB?