SAP and 9.2.0.6; histograms can now be a very bad thing?

  • From: Robyn <robyn.sands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 16:01:43 -0400

Hello everybody,
According to SAP, Oracle had 'a bug that meant that even if bind varibales
where used, accesses via columns with only one distinct value could be
better analyzed by a factor of 100 if histrams were created for these
columns.' Again, according to SAP, this bug was fixed in
9.2.0.6<http://9.2.0.6>,
which has resulted in performance issues for SAP databases on
9.2.0.6<http://9.2.0.6>
.

The fix is to remove histograms by reanalyzing the tables without the "for
all columns" clause.

Was this really a "bug" for Oracle or is SAP just trying to pass the buck on
this one? I thought bind variable peeking was plus, and our non-SAP systems
using bind variables and the "for all columns" clause have not experienced
performance problems after an upgrade to 9.2.0.6 <http://9.2.0.6>.

Has anyone else exerienced problems with upgrading an SAP system to
9.2.0.6<http://9.2.0.6>?
We're on HP-UX.

tia ... Robyn