Re: SAN evaluation

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Andrew Kerber" <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 10:37:48 -0500

Tom,

That may be it. But I'm specifically thinking about what circumstances you
need to take the SAN offline. I'm not sure how this is reflected in MTBF. As
a specific example, I have seen a comparison between NetApp and EMC. A lot
of money could be saved by using NetApp, but there were more situations
where the SAN would have to come offline. For example, I understand that you
can apply an upgrade to the EMC without taking it offline. My point is that
you need to understand the criticality of your application and determine
whether the availability of the SAN would meet your requirements.
    There are people on this list who are far more knowledgeable about SANs
than I am, and I'm hoping they will reply with more details.
    In Googling around, I found the following reference which may be of use,
but doesn't discuss MTBF.
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg245470.pdf

Dennis Williams