Re: SAN evaluation

  • From: "Greg Rahn" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:11:30 -0700

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Matthew Zito <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would definitely put a vote in for NetApp - lots of flexibility, good
> performance, multiprotocol, outstanding snapshot capability.

For OLTP workloads, I concur.  For DSS/Data Warehousing, they are at
the bottom of my list.

For DSS (high IO bandwidth workloads) I think the mid-range storage is
the best offering today.  EMC CLARiiON CX3 and Sun StorageTek 6140
make my short list.  In DSS it is better to have multiple arrays with
a smaller number of drives in each, than to have a big array with a
large number of drives.  This is because the array head becomes the
bottleneck well before you fill up the cabinet - so why pay for space
to put drives when you can't get any more read throughput off of them
(unless you are looking for a storage only solution vs. performance)

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn