Re: SAN Copy across remote location for DR setup

  • From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 21:13:26 -0600

I'm not sure that either statement here is necessarily correct.  :-)

"Storage-to-Storage" copy will *not* necessarily be faster than transferring
an RMAN backup, as RMAN backups *can* be compressed, but that SAN-to-SAN
transfer *might *not be.  Depending on the size of the database (and maybe a
dozen other variables) it *could* be faster to transmit an RMAN backup.
Maybe.

As for the database having to be down for a SAN-to-SAN copy, that is not the
case at all.  Providing the database is in Backup Mode for the entire
duration of the transfer, it should work just fine.  Of course, lots of
people don't remember how to properly do backup/recovery this way any more.

In all, though, I *would* generally prefer to build a standby from an RMAN
backup.  In general it is simpler, cleaner, and has the added bonus of
validating the recoverability of your backups.  Even if it isn't necessarily
*faster*, it will probably be less work. Besides, if there are any mistakes
made along the way, you can restore that RMAN backup as many times as you
need to.

--
Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead