Re: Running utlrp creates too many Pnnn processes

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:44:53 -0800 (PST)

> I'll pursue changing the cpu_count parameter because, as you said,
> it will solve the majority of the problems.
> - Maureen

Why not precisely target the parameter you want to change instead of a
"broad-spectrum" parameter? It's always a good idea to check dependent
parameters when you change an unfamiliar one. Even though cpu_count seems
to be modifiable with alter system (v$parameter.issys_modifiable is
'IMMEDIATE'), you need to bounce the instance to see the difference. My
test on 10gR2 shows that it not only changes parallel_max_servers, but
db_cache_size as well (and my sga_target is 0), and therefore many other
parameters associated with the latter (18 in my count), including
_small_table_threshold. In 11g, it also changes _sqlmon_max_plan. These
could have quite noticeable performance impact.

Yong Huang