Running many instances of Oracle per server

  • From: "Andrew Bryant" <adb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 14:20:55 +0100

Hello oracle-l,

With licensing costs in mind, I'm interested to hear just how many
Oracle server instances people have been able to run on the current
generation of 8-core servers (and what their total CPU and IO loads
are).

The context of the question is that our institute has had a generous
site-license for the last decade, but things will be changing when we
re-negotiate soon.  We will be migrating 50 instances onto a small
number of servers.  On the basis of total memory requirements and AWR
reports of IO and CPU usage we think we can run 10 to 25 instances per
server, but this is well beyond what we've run on our current, 3-year
old servers.  Are there context-switching, or other issues with a large
number of instances per server?  We will also be consolidating to a
smaller number of instances.

Data volume per instance is tens/hundreds GB per database, plus one
200TB warehouse (which will be staying where it is!)

Regards,

Andy Bryant PhD

Oracle and Mysql administrator

Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, UK