RE: Running Production Oracle Databases on OVM

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 17:01:27 -0400

Most of my clients run V stuff for the purpose of running more V machines
than they have physical servers.

Sharing resources (V) is a recipe for variable response time, which is a
major (perhaps THE major) cause of complaints regarding production servers.

Ergo, most of my clients do not run V for production, because they don't
share physical resources for production.

If you want a measurement for the OVM overhead on your machinery, then do
the same test with and without OVM.

One thing I know you don't want to do: mix para-virtualized and fully
virtualized machines on the same box.

mwf