Re: Row Level Security Benefits?

  • From: JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 15:33:07 -0500

Charlotte,

Didn't see/save your first email, but thought I'd point out that using
Application Context features in conjunction with views is quite powerful
and, to my knowledge, is available in Standard Edition.  It can be used
totally apart from FGAC.  You're probably already aware of this, but I
thought I'd mention it anyway.

Good luck.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin (Texas) Independent School District
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

 Same-Day Stump Grinding!  Senior Discounts!
         -- Mike's Tree Service

"Rumpi Gravenstein" <rgravens@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
04/26/2007 03:12 PM
Please respond to
rgravens@xxxxxxxxx

charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx
cc
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: Row Level Security Benefits?

Charlotte,

RLS gives you extra speed, flexibility and security.  RLS policies are
evaluated and then cached for the current session.  That will speed
queries up a little.  RLS has some additional flexibility in that
complicated business rules may more easily be expressed in directly
PL/SQL.  Finally with RLS there are no back-doors into your data as the
security is placed directly on what is being secured.

With that said, if you have relatively simple requirements and are cash
contrained, using views makes a lot of sense.

On 4/26/07, Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,

I thought that I better clarify the "costs $$$s extra"
is because we are on Standard Edition (10g) and would
need to go to Enterprise Edition to get this feature.

Charlotte

--- Charlotte Hammond < charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
It certainly costs $$$s