Re: Routine Checks

  • From: "Charles Schultz" <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 08:20:44 -0500

Ironically, just yesterday (Friday) I had an OWC with Oracle Support about
an Agent that was dumping core quite often. The base problem was that when
you upgrade/migrate a database to a new ORACLE_HOME, the agent does not
propagate the information back to the OMS properly (or at all), hence it
starts to have connection failures for that instance. I spent 50 minutes on
the phone dropping all the registered targets, the host target, the agent,
and cleaning up the Agents $OH/sysman/emd/*.xml files (and all the
subdirectories), then re-registered the agent. Unfortunately, the process
did not re-register all my databases (we have 26 on this host). Worst, the
ORACLE_HOME information was still out of date and I had to correct it
manually.

So much for the glass being half full.

On 8/16/06, Charles Schultz <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Grin. I hear ya.

I should have added a disclaimer of my own: "Don't expect too much, and
you will be happy."

I have not seen many java errors, but then again, I have not been actively
looking for them. As I mentioned, we do have a couple SRs open about core
dumping issues, and I say that to remind you that the glasses are not so
rosy. We have been told that it is possible to reset the IA without
re-installing it, but we have not taken the time to prove that true or
false. I take it with the usual grain of salt.

On 8/16/06, Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxx> wrote: > > Arg. Once again, someone has my hopes up that EM will be usable. I > did try 10gR1 and it was unreliable at best. Does R2 still dump copious > amounts of Java errors that my log checker will pick up? Can the IA be > "reset" with needing to re-freaking-install it? > > Gah. I don't have time to mess with it anyway. I need to get > up-to-speed on Data Guard. Oh wait, the DG Broker's GUI is EM. This really > is the winter of my discontent, or at least 40 charaters of it: http://user.tninet.se/ecf599g/aardasnails/java/Monkey/webpages/ > > > Rich > > Disclaimer: Beer is not a substitute for caffeiene. > > ------------------------------ > *From:* oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto: > oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] *On Behalf Of *Charles Schultz > *Sent:* Wednesday, August 16, 2006 8:46 AM > *To:* Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) > *Cc:* niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx; oracle-l > *Subject:* Re: Routine Checks > > Just about everything from 8.1.7.4 to 10.2.0.2. Although, we upgraded > the 8i databases shortly after implementing EM10gR2, so I do not think we > actually tried the EM features on the 8i databases. However, things work > well for the 9i databases, and I have not experienced any problems related > to version incompatibilities. We did use the 9i console, but mostly to > monitor Production databases for various events (we turned a majority of > them off). Our group is much happier with the 10g console (if you can call > it that) over the 9i console, even given the various little nuances (ie, you > do not always know where you are drilling down to, some of the links are > completely counter-intuitive or just incorrect, navigating backwards can be > tricky). > > Actually, one of the most poignant lessons we learned was very serious > at the time, but perhaps a little funny now. I share this with you all so > you do not repeat it. > > Be very careful when playing with the Maintenance Window. If you follow > "Administration" tab -> "Windows" -> edit "WEEKEND" or "WEEKNIGHT". Note how > the default RESOURCE PLAN is INTERNAL_QUIESCE. If you wish to strictly > change the time of the window (say, one hour later) and forget to change the > Resource Plan, you will be screwed (unless you really intend to put your > database into a coma). I brought this up with our Oracle Sales Rep and > percolated the issue as much as possible, but as far as I know, this issue > has not been fixed yet. Beware the defaults! > > The silver lining is that you can get some very obscure and exotic > experience in trouble-shooting a database that accidentally quiesced. Would > make for a good scenario in one of the DBA workshops. > >

-- Charles Schultz

-- Charles Schultz